- Enjoy coding and staying on top of the emerging trends? Passionate about open source? Love connecting, supporting and building tech communities? Then this might be the role for you!
- As a Principal Engineer you will be comfortable actively coding, providing thought leadership and be a role model to the wider teams. You will experiment and research innovative ways of solving difficult technical problems.
- Enterprise Technology (ET) is a Global Function encompassing platforms that are vital to the bank’s operation. ET’s mission is to “Enable, Protect and Delight” Company’s global businesses. Our inclusive culture means a lot to us, and we are searching for intellectually curious, compassionate people who are eager to grow their skills.
- The Accounting, Financial Reporting and Tax teams sit within ET, and are responsible for end to end delivery, maintenance, innovation and support for all Finance ledger systems, applications that provide all Finance Regulatory reporting, and those products that provide Tax Reporting for Group Tax. The technology landscape is broad ranging from mainframe systems to open-source cloud based solutions.
- Your primary responsibility is to drive `Engineering Excellence’ across the ledger and reporting platforms and their related large-scale programs. You will demonstrate a passion for delivering quality software efficiently and reducing toil. In addition, you will drive high standards across the department and be a role model exemplifying these standards. You will be able to develop and communicate technical strategy and influence stakeholders in the delivery of IT solutions aligned to Company’s Technology’s strategic vision. This position plays an instrumental role in driving technical delivery and best in class engineering across a portfolio of agile teams.
- As the senior most engineer in the Accounting, Financial Reporting and Tax area, you will be able to convey complex topics and work closely with the CIOs, business partners as well as your Principal Engineer peers. In addition, you will upskill teams and providing the oversight and direction to deliver at scale.
This role demands a deep awareness of technology, best practices and emerging trends across the industry. You will be able to mobilize ideas safely within the controlled framework ET operate in.
- Hands on passionate technologist who is still delivering code to production.
- Ideally does one or more for the following – blogs about technology, has a GitHub portfolio and/or contributes to open source.
- Ability to follow the industry shifts and offerings across the full-stack including Containers, Kubernetes, Cloud, Virtualization, service mesh, data lakes, storage and networking in Cloud environments.
- A problem solver that can translate business opportunities into technical solutions.
- Experience of modern programming languages (e.g., Rust, Go) and the ability to choose the ‘right tool for the job’.
- Connect, build and support communities that ‘raise the bar’ on delivering quality and efficiency.
- Build inter-personal relationships with key stakeholders and technology partners.
- Self-assurance to positively question current perspectives and steer towards improved paths.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, engineering solutions, and technical standards.
- Mentor and share knowledge with others on the team, and outside teams where required.
- Always consider automation for a solution from the start. Help to reduce the toil and time-consuming portions of the technology to help developers become more agile and deliver solutions quickly and securely.
- Be able to evidence continuous learning, staying up-to-date and guiding the engineering community on evolving trends.
- Identify opportunities related to continuous service improvement by developing innovative solutions, simplification of architecture, automation and overcoming blockers to optimize processes and reduce running costs.
- Identify areas of exposure/risk to the business and implement innovative solutions/controls across Accounting Ledgers, Financial Reporting and Tax value stream.
- Drive, Support and Embed Engineering Excellence across Accounting Ledgers, Financial Reporting & Tax value stream and FinEX China, ensuring our Technical approach adheres to Engineering Principles.
Accountabilities for Business, Customers and Stakeholders
- "Someone who can create something which makes the bank better, faster, safer".
- Steers people to use or change their behaviors; this includes "transferring their expertise".
- Ability to sell ideas and concepts to key business and IT stakeholders as well as peer engineers.
- Influences way beyond their own immediate department.
- Someone who can explain technology well to business or senior managers such that they buy into a technology direction.
- Someone who influences beyond Company’s in the industry (be that tech or banking).
- Someone who can identify risk and opportunities for the business.
- Takes accountability & personal risk - i.e. not deferring to an Architect or "the process".
- Someone who can communicate with code.
- Supports team success over individual success.
- Continuously improves themselves and nurtures their team.
- Researches new tech / processes and is responsible for adopting them.
- Someone who can think few steps forward of technology and guide the team or department to a new direction.
- Someone who isn't just a specialist in one domain (e.g., just networks); we prefer generalists, who can apply their thinking to many problems.
- Demonstrates mastery of their technical discipline.
- Experienced and comfortable operating in a highly regulated environment and the security and control framework this necessitates.
- Can see a problem or an opportunity and then engineers a solution.
- Someone who is respected for what they build not (just) what they say.
- Thinks about the business impact of their work.
- Holistic view to problem solving.
- Communicate ideas succinctly; ability to communicate technical big picture vision, strategy and direction.